The season starts out with various news.
- Pedrosa (factory Honda) injured during test, with surgery to his hand and knee in early March.
- Hayden (factory Ducati) injured during qualifying at the season opener.
- Bridgestone is the sole tire for the field.
- Gibernau rides on a satellite Ducati.
- Kawasaki pulls factory backing (leaving Hopkins without a ride; demoting him to World Superbike on a Stiggy Honda).
The full 2009 MotoGP rider list is on MotoGP's official website.
Here is my prediction for the top 5 at the end of the season.
I hope it's an exciting season; but fear that with everyone on Bridgestone and Ducati's power versus Yamaha's handling versus Honda's balance and "win at all costs" mentality: all this equates to certain bikes performing well at their respective tracks, and no good battles taking place on race day. Hopefully, I am wrong.